Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Italy Stole My Heart, and My Stomach

This past weekend was one of the greatest weekends of my life. I cannot believe how much I did and saw in Italy. It was absolutely incredible! The first day we spent in Rome where we walked around the city visiting various sites like the Colosseum and St. Peters Cathedral. Throughout all of this walking we stopped for gelato about every other hour. Even though our diets were about 50% gelato, the other 50% consisted of the most delicious pizza and pasta I have ever had. I still cannot fathom how delicious every single meal was. From their seafood pasta, to their Margherita pizza; I still don't know how I was able to get myself to leave this amazing food capital.

 


Oh and lots and lots of tiramisu… there is no such thing as too much tiramisu.


The second day we headed to the train station for Florence! Took us about 20 minutes to figure out that Florence in Italian in Firenze. We probably sounded like stupid Americans shouting "I don't see Florence on the schedule!" Luckily we eventually figured it out thanks to our good friend Google.

Florence was absolutely beautiful. We walked all over through the different alley ways with various shops and restaurants and along the river. The most breath taking moment was definitely the view of the river with the famous Ponte Veccio, a bridge with a bunch of shops all along it.



Our third and final day was definitely one I will never forget. We woke up early to get tickets for the Vatican. I had been to the Vatican about 8 years ago and it was just as beautiful as I remembered it to be. Incredible artwork everywhere, and the most meticulously detailed ceilings. Of course the ceiling in the Sistine Chapel was the most beautiful of them all (no photos allowed of the Sistine Chapel but this is one from the museum).


After the Vatican we jumped on another train to head to San Marinella beach! It was such a surreal moment swimming in the Mediterranean ocean surrounded by the beauty of Italy. The beach was definitely one of the highlights of my entire summer so far. The water was warm and the weather was absolutely perfect for a beach day. I couldn't have asked for a better way to end my trip in Italy. Well, the seafood pizza was actually a really nice ending to the trip.



Ciao!



No comments:

Post a Comment